Randolph Houses, Harlem, 1928

randolph houses The buildings on West 114th Street as they looked in 1928Randolph Houses are five-stories, Renaissance Revival style structures on the right side of the street were built in the 1890′s on West 261 West 114th Street as they looked in 1928.

The buildings run along both the north and south sides of West 114th Street, (between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard and Frederick Douglass Boulevard).

31RANDOLPH4-superJumbo

The detail above from the facades and stoops of a figure detail from the exterior of one of the Houses on the north side of West 114th Street.

The building held 455 apartments housing some 1,042 residents. It was completed April 30, 1977, the 2.07-acre. These buildings were built to attract workers  who were willing to commute on the new elevated trains along what was a stretch of Eighth Avenue and is now Frederick Douglass Avenue.

Photo credit: 2) A detail from the exterior of the Randolph Houses on the north side of West 114th Street.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments are closed.