Vandervoort & Tucker And The Harlem Beach Baths, 1880′s

washburn-in-1882In the early 1880′s the Harlem Beach Baths property on the west side along the Harlem piers was owned by Charles M. Vandervoort and William G. Tucker, including several small frame buildings, a two-story frame factory that made paints, oils and cement. Continue Reading →

“The Black Star Steamship Line,” At The Harlem Pier

BLACK_STAR_LINERThe shining star of Marcus Garvey’s Universal Negro Improvement Association UNIA movement offices were located at 54-56 West 135th Street was the Black Star Steamship Line, Inc., from 1919 to 1922 (pictured above on the Harlem Pier). Continue Reading →