Kanter’s department store, whose slogan was “The Store with a Heart, in the Heart of Harlem.” The president and owner of Kanter’s was Nathaniel Kanter, this photo was taken of the store on June, 1943, the address was 147st West 125th Street in Harlem. Continue Reading →
In 1913 or 1914,a new building, designed by the architect George Keister, who also patterned the First Baptist Church in the City of New York, opened at 253 West 125th Street as Hurtig and Seamon’s New (Burlesque) Theater, operated by noted burlesque producers Jules Hurtig and Harry Seamon, who obtained a 30-year lease. It remained in operation until 1928, when Bill Minsky took over. Continue Reading →
Philip A. Payton, Jr., (February 27, 1876 – August 1917) was an African American real estate entrepreneur, known as the “Father of Harlem”, due to his work renting properties in the Harlem neighborhood of New York City to African Americans. Continue Reading →
Melvin Stanton “Mel” Tapley was born in New York on May 29, 1918.
In the 1920 U.S. Federal Census, the Tapley family of three lived in Cortlandt, New York at 1105 Park Street. His parents were Harry, a chauffeur, and Louise, and his age was recorded as nine months, which would make his birth in 1919. In 1930 he lived at the same street address but in Peekskill Village of Cortlandt Town. Continue Reading →