The Washington Theatre, Harlem, 1910

The Washington Theater on Amsterdam Avenue between 149th and 150th Streets. With a seating capacity of 1432, the Washington opened in August of 1910. It is considered to be the oldest surviving theater designed by Thomas Lamb, stayed open for forty years until its final days as a movie house in the 1950’s.

Today, the ornate, patriotic awning is gone. The Washington still stands today as the New Covenant Temple and is intact.

Source

FacebookGoogle+LinkedInGoogle GmailPinterestDeliciousTwitterShare

Comments are closed.